Organizations of all shapes and sizes chase after the same brand recognition dream. You might think you have a great product, excellent customer service, and a thriving company culture. But how do you know for sure? You need proof from a credible third-party source to know where you stand.
Employer recognition awards are more than a shiny plaque on a wall. Credible recognition awards demonstrate legitimacy and third-party verification. They show that an organization can hold its own with the best in the industry and that they are innovative leaders in their communities and beyond.
Employer branding and recognition awards come in a variety of forms, from local and national honors to industry excellence and categories that focus on relevant topics such as inclusivity and diversity.
But first, do your homework. Before pursuing being named a “best company to work for,” a Top Workplaces winner, or participating in another recognition award program, it’s important to research which categories best suit your organization’s goals.
Benefits of employer awards
Winning workplace culture awards give your organization something to celebrate, a sense of pride, and a much-needed morale boost. But they also offer a host of other benefits, including:
- Credibility: Nothing shows your organization knows its stuff more than winning an award. Workplace culture awards banish potential employee uncertainty, and the best employer awards establish a sense of trustworthiness and stability.
- Media exposure: Winning an employer award gives you bragging rights. It also benefits networking, sponsorship, and engagement with prospective consumers and other organizations.
- Recruitment: People want to be part of a winning team. Employer awards attract top talent and ensure employee retention remains high.
- Performance: Workplace culture awards that recognize the importance of employee engagement have a positive impact on company performance. Engaged employees give their best each day, and they’re committed to achieving company goals at a higher rate than employees who are not engaged.
For Top Workplaces award winners like Power Home Remodeling, the benefits of an employer award are especially felt during difficult times. The COVID-19 pandemic is a recent example. After making the difficult decision to furlough 85 percent of its employees, the company carried out an employee engagement survey.
The results showed a 96.5 percent positive response rate from employees who deeply appreciated Power’s transparency, support, and willingness to listen to feedback — traits that have allowed it to maintain a Top Workplaces status multiple years in a row. This means Power’s employees are committed to hitting the ground running when work opens up again, a clear benefit few companies can claim after losing their workforce.
Another Top Workplace award winner, TEAM Schostak Family Restaurants, found their strong focus on company culture and engagement allowed them to experience a significantly lower employee turnover, saving the company time and money. TEAM Schostak reported a retention rate of up to 81 percent across a number of well-known franchises, which is a rarity in the food service industry where the average retention rate ranges from 20 to 30 percent.
Awards and employer branding
Employer awards, including Top Workplaces, place companies in a position of strength — now and in the future. Awards communicate a high level of investment and a desire to exceed the norm, which can do wonders for branding efforts. They’re also one of the effective company reputation management strategies.
The benefits of a strong brand are numerous, but they equate to more than higher revenue. Top Workplaces also experience higher:
- Visibility: Promote your brand with little effort because the award speaks volumes in the local community and across the nation.
- Employee engagement: An engaged workforce is committed to the organization’s best interest.
- Employee morale: Awards recognize hard work and make employees feel appreciated. This boosts morale and gives employees a sense of satisfaction in the work they do.
Top Workplaces leverage their success to uncover hiring differentiators, stand out in the competitive market, appeal to top talent, and gain a competitive edge. All of this adds up to a stronger brand that signals to serious job seekers, current employees, and competitors alike that the organization is a leading force on track to success.
Employee appreciation is another form of recognition that boosts engagement and morale.
Learn more here: Employee Recognition Award Ideas.
How do awards help companies with recruitment?
Organizations that are invested in their company culture recognize that employees are at the heart of their success stories. Keeping top talent for the long haul is a major undertaking, and it begins with a better understanding of how to improve the recruitment process.
Energage data shows that 44 percent — nearly half — of employees at average companies admit they’ve searched for a better job opportunity within the past month. Compare that to just 14 percent of employees at Top Workplaces who say they are actively seeking a new position.
Awards have a strong impact on the recruitment process by empowering:
- Company credibility: Building a sense of trustworthiness is vital to successful recruitment efforts.
- Brand visibility to prospective employees: Winning workplace culture awards or a spot among Top Workplaces boosts PR on social media, in trade publications, and more, extending your visibility to top talent nationwide.
- Ability to attract better quality candidates: Attracting candidates who are informed about your unique culture and align with your company’s mission equates to better employee recruitment and retention.
Earning a Top Workplaces award shows recruits your company puts people first. It also gives you a competitive edge over other job offers your potential hire may be considering. In fact, some employees even cite the Top Workplaces award during an interview as the main reason why they were compelled to apply.
Employee recognition is a platform from which an organization can express its commitment to building a healthy, people-first company culture where employees are supported and can grow their talent. Serious job seekers who do their research are looking for nothing less. The best employee recognition programs make employees feel valued and also increase retention.
How awards improve company performance
Organizations that seek out and win a spot among Top Workplaces see an improvement in branding, employee retention, and overall company performance thanks to employee survey insights.
Employee engagement surveys lend a clearer view of employee perspectives, allowing internal teams to make better, more data-driven decisions to improve engagement. Survey insights foster an environment of growth, where employees have a voice and feel heard, and effective, intuitive action is taken to bring about positive change.
Utilizing Top Workplaces insights ultimately contributes to the healthy development of company performance and sustainability for the long term, resulting in better business outcomes. An annual employee survey also allows for benchmarking, which can draw the attention of employee candidates and potential business partners.
Organizations that want to attract top talent, boost performance and retention, and stand out in their industry recognize the undeniable benefits of employer recognition awards. They give companies an envious platform to applaud employees’ hard work, showcase their unique strengths, and hold the whole organization to a standard of excellence that encourages a continued drive toward success.
Take the first step toward credible employer recognition. Nominate your company for Top Workplaces regional and national programs.