- Top Workplaces
- New Directions, Inc.
New Directions, Inc. Overview
In 1981, with support from the GI Bill, Jonathan and Laurie Kigner purchased a home in Como Park that provided support to six individuals with varied disabilities. Two of these individuals still live in that home to this day. Our purpose at New Directions, Inc. is to assist and support people in forming and achieving a life of their own choosing. Our vision is for every person to continually experience and maintain personal well-being, engagement in their interests, satisfying personal relationships, and participation in and contribution to community life. One individual recently returned from a trip to Hawaii. Another is following his dream to be involved with a boxing gym. Yet another has a trip scheduled to the WWW Championships in New York City. Someone else is participating in the Citizens’ Academy where she is learning the ins and outs of the Washington County Sheriff's department. The rewards we receive from impacting people's lives in such significant and positive ways are immeasurable.
Additional Culture Details
engagement in their interests inside and outside of their home.
satisfying personal relationships;
and participation in and contribution to community life.
- Person Focused
- Our first responsibility is to people who use our services. We learn what is valued by the person and we work in accordance with these values. Quality is defined by the people we serve.
- Our words are in sync with our actions and we fulfill our commitments.
- We believe in the dignity of each person; expect honesty and consideration in all of our actions.
- We have a lasting commitment to changes in values of people we serve and provide supports and services based on those needs and preferences.
- We believe every employee should have a commitment to continuously refine what we do so that we do it a little better each day.
- We promote communication and seek the contribution of ideas of others so that everyone feels responsible for success. We welcome all stakeholders in planning, decision making, implementing, and evaluating.
- We exceed people’s expectations and derive a sense of fulfillment from doing something that matters.